Tuesday, June 16, 2015

PZ80emu - The PZ80 Machine Emulator

While I was messing about with the PZ80 schematics, I realized that I really needed an environment where I could write and run test code for the ROM monitor before I went burning EEPROMs.  I searched around for a few days for a suitable machine emulator, but ran into severe bugs with those that I found that weren't tailor made as CP/M emulators.

While I was searching around, I came across the website of Marat Fayzullin, who wrote a fantastic HOWTO on writing computer emulators:

http://fms.komkon.org/EMUL8/HOWTO.html

The PZ80emu is far from complete, but so far is able to load ROMs compiled by z80asm on my Mac.  It executes them quite well from what I tell, as long as I don't use any of the instructions I haven't implemented yet.  I have also implemented a very basic NCurses interface, mostly because I've never coded with NCurses before and thought it would be fun.

The code is most definitely alpha, and is incomplete, but anyone interested in hacking on what I've got so far is more than welcome.  I will certainly keep the Git repository up to date as I hack on the code, and will gladly accept pull requests.

https://github.com/protoCall7/PZ80emu

No comments:

Post a Comment